Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Come Out to Play ~~ a blue finish!

Every now and again I make a baby quilt with a title from a nursery rhyme. It's just a thing I've been doing for six or seven years. I love the idea of baby quilts and nursery rhymes, and I can't seem to let it go. Perhaps I should go back and figure out how many I've made in this series. 

This little quilt is about 40" X 40" and uses quarter log cabin blocks, an idea I snagged from Cynthia Brunz of Quilting is more fun than housework

After I asked for opinions on layout (here), and got the same answer from almost every respondent, I had to go with this one. 



Because the setting has a medallion feel to it, I decided to focus on it and quilted a large grid pattern. Then to set off the grid, I quilted a square around it. 



The original idea was to use up some of those blue scraps and practice some of my quilting motifs, so in the blocks around the medallion I quilted different motifs. I also used a bit of yardage from the stash for backing and pieces of leftover navy for the binding. 


Because the weather is so unpredictable, I quickly went outside to snap pictures on my new orange Adirondack chair that Richard made a few weeks ago. Doesn't that orange just pop? Wait till you see the rest of the chairs! They look like a bed of huge flowers!


But that's a post for another time. This is a post about the quilt, so here are the stats...

Quilt Stats
Name: Come Out to Play
Size: 40" X 40" 
Fabrics: Scrap fabrics from stash
Background: n/a
Binding: scrap fabrics left from blocks
Pattern: Quarter Log Cabin
Quilting: practice quilting / variety of motifs


Linking up with

6 comments:

Mary Marcotte said...

Although I meant to, I did not include the nursery rhyme!

Boys and girls come out to play,
The moon does shine as bright as day;
Come with a hoop, and come with a call,
Come with a good will or not at all.
Loose your supper, and loose your sleep,
Come to your playfellows in the street;
Up the ladder and down the wall.
A halfpenny loaf will serve us all.
But when the loaf is gone, what will you do?
Those who would eat must work - 'tis true.

Karen S said...

Lovely finish. Fun to link it to a rhyme.
And I do love the colour in your chair. Can't wait to see the rest.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Lovely baby quilt, especially photographed on that orange chair. Well done!

Shauna said...

so pretty, I love it!!!

Kaja said...

How funny, I know that rhyme, of course, but we have a different final couplet
: 'you bring milk and I'll bring flour, and we'll have a pudding in half an hour'. Lovely finish and Richard's orange chair is fantastic.

Preeti said...

Love monochromatic quilts. That is one lucky baby with a scrappy lovely quilt. I do not know the poem but I understand the sentiment because so many times my quilts are associated with Bollywood songs.